Team Bravo research department
Quotes From The Food & Wine Classic In Aspen
- "I wasn’t 100% sober" - Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- "Merlot is Cabernet without the pain." - Mark Oldman
- "Cooking is like a dog, it senses fear, don’t be afraid." - Anne Burrell
- "It was never the knife’s fault." - Daniel Bouloud
- "The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love for it." - James Beard
- "Since we must eat to live, we might as well do it with grace and gusto." - MFK Fisher
- "Always use virgin olive oil, there are no degrees of virginity. You either are or you’re not." - Anne Burrell
- "Let’s Make America Taste Great Again." - Marcus Samuelson
- "If you don’t retox, you can’t detox"?
- "If it ain’t broke, break it" - Chef Graham Elliot
- "The Acidity in wine keeps your mouth watering." - Bobby Stuckey
- "Tannins in wines do not go well with Cheese." - Laura Werlin
- "I always put something special in my food, my heart." - Nobu Matsuhisa
Matsuhisu for our 1st Dinner
We had a great dinner at Matsuhisa and had chef Nobu’s famous Black Cod with Miso. This is his signature dish that has been cloned by chefs all over the world. Nobu marinates the black cod for two to three days.
3 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons sake
1/2 cup white miso paste
1/3 cup sugar
Six 6- to 7-ounce skinless black cod fillets, about 1 1/2 inches thick
Vegetable oil, for grilling
Pickled ginger, for serving
In a small saucepan, bring the mirin and sake to a boil. Whisk in the miso until dissolved. Add the sugar and cook over moderate heat, whisking, just until dissolved. Transfer the marinade to a large baking dish and let cool. Add the fish and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
Preheat the oven to 400°. Heat a grill pan and oil it. Scrape the marinade off the fish. Add the fish and cook over high heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip the fish onto a heavy rimmed baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, until flaky. Transfer to plates and serve with pickled ginger.
Woody Creek Distillery
Team Bravo drove down to the Woody Creek Distillery in Basalt for a tour. This distillery features some exciting new potato vodkas, a gin, a rye and a yet to be released bourbon. Their vodkas have distribution in 14 States and are earning very strong reviews. At the 2015 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, the distillery received the highest honor, taking home the double gold medal for its Woody Creek Colorado 100% Potato Vodka. Woody Creek Colorado Reserve Vodka is made from the Polish Stobrawa potato. Revered for its high starch content and flavor complexity, both key for the production of vodka, the Stobrawa potato has been used to make some of Poland’s finest vodkas.
Don & Shawn in front of the custom Carl Stills at Woody Creek
Golf at River Valley Ranch Golf Club
This is how Team Bravo hikes in the mountains.
Terry only lost 5 golf balls and called it a major accomplishment!
Shawn & Terry showing off their Hattie B’s Nashville Fried Chicken Bling
at the Ajax Tavern
Near the Ringo Starr Ranch we were invited to a private champagne tasting “A Journey Through Joseph Krug’s Champagne House.” The food, beverages and views were all outstanding.
Terry, Whitney & Chef Richard Blaise at the Food & Wine 5K Charity race.
The high elevation made for a tough run but at the finish line was Braised Pork Belly Hash with Fried Quail Eggs, Bloody Mary’s and Champagne! Terry finished 1st in his age group. Whitney finished 3rd in hers. Shawn finished the Champagne!
Wines for IPO Trillionaires With Mark Oldman
Henriot Champagne “Cuve 38” La Reserve
Chateau La Fleur-Petrus 2012
Jordan Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley 2012
Nicolas Feuillatte “Palmes d Or” Brut Champagne NV
Guigal Cote Rotie Chateau D’Ampuis 2011
Schrader Cabernet Sauvignon “Old Sparky” Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard 2012
Kopke Colheita Port 1966
Shawn With Fred Shrader of Shrader Cellars
Cheeses & Wines Notes With Laura Werlin
- Big wines should be paired with grilled food, not, cheese. Tannins kill cheese.
- Serve bread when tasting cheese, It’s more neutral than crackers.
- Ice wines have very little acidity to cut sweetness.
- Ice wines pair well with bleu cheeses and candied nuts.
- Sheeps Milk Cheeses are usually a little grainy.
Laura Werlin with Whitney
Chefs Ann & Anne talking in the wine tents
Chef Grahm Elliot Demonstration
Owner of Grahm Elliots Bistro Chicago, 2 Michelin Star Award, Iron Chef, Top Chef Masters and the list goes on and on. Was one of Shawn’s favorite demos. He prepared truffle popcorn with Parmesan and scallions, and a fantastic pearl onion risotto with apples. His food was packed with flavors and his techniques were spot on but the best part was how he is playful with his food ideas. He likes to put a new spin on everything.
Chef Shawn with Chef Chef Grahm Elliot
Every year we create our own dinner. This year’s event we combined Classic French Escoffier dishes with Colorado’s Buffalo Bill Cody ingredients. A French Colorado Dinner we called “The Escoffalo Dinner”
Blueberry and Foie gras mousse
Moėt Chandon Rosé Champagne
On mâche with granola
Moėt Chandon Rosé Champagne
Cauliflower salad and mustard
Pomme nature, chanterelles and Pinot Noir reduction
Belle Glos Clark & Telegraph Pinot Noir
Grand Marnier Soufflés
With Woody Creek infused raspberries
Restaurant tips for traveling between Denver and Aspen:
A stop in Golden, CO will break up the trip. Woody’s Wood Fired Pizza in downtown, close to Coors Brewery, is a clean, simple restaurant with good food. Of note, it is just a few blocks from Parfet Park.
1305 Washington Ave
Golden, CO 80401
Or, a Denver restaurant we enjoy is Hillstone Restaurant for lunch or dinner.
303 Josephine Street
Denver, Colorado 80206